There are a lot of myths and misconceptions out there...
1. Social Media Popularity
Being Instagram famous may make you feel great (who doesn’t like being liked?), but it won’t lead to your Pro Card. So don’t spend too much time focused on racking up followers in attempts to improve your chances at going Pro. More followers may improve your chances of getting sponsored, but again, sponsorship doesn’t lead to Pro Cards either. So don’t worry your pretty little head or spend time being jealous or insecure over someone who has 100k followers. Instead, spend more of your time focused on things that do matter, like your physique, posing, diet adherence, and overall presentation.
So in short, we’ve all been there—the ‘popular girl’ is in our height class…we’re freaked out, and think we don’t have a shot in hell at the title. I’m here to give you some hope. You have a shot, and it’s just as good as hers.
3. Biggest Glutes Win!
So let's talk about the exciting part to all this? Bikini is a division in which individuality is strongly embraced. You don't have to compare yourself to other competitors. It leaves room for you to develop your own strengths, and find your own body's balance. This is why you can get an athletic bikini beauty like Angelica Teixeira (2nd Place Bikini Olympia) next to Courtney King (1st Place Ms. Bikini Olympia) who has a softer, but just as beautiful look. Both women are banging hot, and assuming Angelica is 'better' or works harder because she has more muscle is preposterous. It's not about muscularity, as much as it is about symmetry, balance, and overall presentation. Find your balance!
NOTE: Bikini athletes watch your muscular development. Judges want a clear separation from figure and bikini.
Original Cost: $180 Upgraded Overtime Original Cost: $650
6. Spending More Money on 'the Best'
- Do your own manicure and pedicure
- Learn to do your own hair and makeup. I suggest becoming proficient in at least one of these areas. It will save you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in the long run. It may seem nerve racking at first, but it is very empowering to have that kind of control on competition days. Practice your stage hair and makeup until it becomes almost like second nature. Once you found a look that works—stick with it.
- Stay in proximity of the host hotel, but not at the host hotel. Most of the host hotels are expensive. Plus, sometimes it’s nice to be away from all the action. Save hundreds of dollars just by staying a few blocks away.
- Get a great suit, but not 'the best' money can buy. The best doesn't always have the highest price tag.
- Change your suit connectors rather than your suit for a ‘new look’.
7. Large Breasts/Implants
You do not have to be a beauty queen or super model to compete and do well. Your physique, posing, suit, tan, hair, body's balance, and makeup will make all the difference in the world. Besides, beauty comes in all shapes and colors in this sport. Embrace your strengths, natural gifts, and your own individual beauty and watch yourself shine! The most important thing is that you have the passion and dedication to be great in this sport. Perfect passion will earn you your Pro Card before perfect looks.